Monday, October 31, 2011

Holy Vows Part One

The Basilica of Eternal Devotion, more commonly called the temple, was on the southern facing on the mountain where our fortress cathedral was located.  It was situated out on salient so the stained glass windows were never in shadow.  My priory walked the thousand steps across the Path of Purity that lead from the rest of the fortress cathedral to the basilica. The Path of Purity was one thousand paces long, made of black volcanic glass, cut and polished smooth.  Laser etched onto the surface were some of the more devotional verses.  Across the way, set apart from everything else, I could see massive laser batteries, shield emitters, and jamming arrays carved into the rock.  I shook my head briefly and cleared it from all distractions, using the rest of the path to focus my thoughts.
The basilica was an imposing structure, rising almost two hundred meters into the air, two hundred meters wide and six hundred meters long.  It was the first structure constructed after the exodus from the Amarr Empire.  By and large the workers only used the most basic equipment; more often than not they used hand tools.  The arches and columns were intricacy carved and stained glass windows portraying important moments in the lives of the saints lined the long walls.  Nine hundred and ninety-nine gargoyles perched on the edges of the roof, sneering down at those who would walk near.  But the most imposing fact of the architecture was that the basilica’s exterior walls were all black marble.
We reached the portal, two oak doors, each twenty feet tall and entered the basilica proper.  The narthex had four bowls lining the wall, silver basins containing water.  An archaic stone statue of Saint Apollyon was placed on the east side and Saint Sagredia on the west.  Unlike the exterior walls, the inside walls were cherry wood, darkly stained.  The artificial lighting was kept dim, so as to not overpower the candles and torches that cast ever shifting shadows over the room.  
I walked over to one of the bowls and dipped my hands in the blessed water.  Then, with my hands still wet I touched my forehead, my mouth and my chest.  “Oh God, may my thoughts, my words and my soul be acceptable in your sight as I enter your sanctum.”  The ritual complete, I walked into the naive and my priory followed.
The temple never failed to impress.  Unlike the narthex, the interior of the temple was all stone, hand fashioned and carefully laid.  The only light came from flaming braziers on the walls and the interior columns.  The carpeting on the central aisle leading to the altar  was, of course, blood red and fastened to the floor with brilliant brass tacks on the side.  The rows of pews where hand carved mahogany wood.  As a small gesture to the members of the order, who would sometimes be sitting for several hours, they were cushioned.  
Since the service was for an initiation of a member of my priory and since I was going to be participating heavily in the sacraments, we walked to the front of the temple to the very first pew and sat.  After I adjusted my habit, I gazed on the altar.  The same altar had been used since the founding of our order; it was one of the few things that they brought with them in the exodus from Amarr.  It was a glossy black stone, or so it appeared.  The centuries, millennia even, of sacrifice and use had removed or filled in all the imperfections and coloured it.  Emblazoned in gold on the front was the Chalice emblem of our order that gleamed in the firelight; this was the only portion that was cleaned.
To the right of the altar stood the pulpit, where the bishop would deliver sermons.  The cherry wood was bedecked with mottled red cloth.  Again, carved into the wood was the Chalice.  Behind it was a raised section for the choir, which started to file in.  The orchestra filed in right behind.  They  started playing a march, with the soprano section providing choral overtones.
The bishop’s procession started to walk in.  Arch Bishop Alar’s robes were the same mottled red as my scapular and the long train required four boys to help carry.  Another carried the bishop’s Liber Sani.  Abbess Verchar of the Sagredia Abbey, my superior walked behind along with other abbots and abbesses.  Behind them walked several nuns and monks, each carried something significant: the Caerimonia Chalice, the incense brazier, the Sani Capilum.  Callie trailed the procession, having to walk twice as fast to keep up due to her size.  She was wearing the black silk robe that I had put on her still.
The procession went to their seats, but little Callie went to stand in front of the altar and faced the congregation.  My maternal instinct, what little I had left felt for the girl; I remembered when it was my time to stand there.  She bowed her head and found an interesting spot on the carpet to stare at while the bishop took the pulpit.
His rich baritone voice boomed out across the temple.  “Brothers and sisters!  Rejoice, for today another joins our order.  Rejoice, as a soul finds its place in the cosmos.  Rejoice, as our order becomes stronger!  Callista Hinderville has been examined and found worthy.  She has been cleansed and prepared for this day-this day she takes her destiny.  This day she claims her spot in Paradise.  This day she truly becomes Sani Sabik!”  Inside I beamed.  She would be a good addition to my priory.
“We believe in the Red God, Creator of all, Master of the Universe.  We believe!  Faith takes strength; devotion to God takes courage.  The weak stare at the truth their whole lives, but deny the existence of God because they are afraid!  God calls each of us, but only a few answer.  Today, Callista answers the call.  She stares unflinchingly back at God and says, ‘here I am.’”
“We have failed to be a perfect creation.  Not a one of us is perfect!  We have our flaws, our weaknesses.  Callista is no different.  But she is stronger for acknowledging them!  The fools, the week look at themselves and say there is nothing that they can make better.”
“We believe that redemption is possible for anyone, but that only a few are able to prove themselves worthy and that each of us are responsible for our own salvation.  She has proved herself.  Her strength compels her to seek God and her own place in Paradise.  The strong see what they want and take it; the weak, they are slaves to others, needing guidance.  They drift lost, without purpose.”
“We believe that redemption requires a Blood Sacrifice.  That only through Blood Sacrifice can we prove ourselves worth God’s grace and that only He can purify us.  The taint of sins can only be washed away in blood.  Blood!  Today she offers blood for her sins, so that she can be pure enough to enter Paradise.  The strong conquer the weak this is the nature of the universe.  Self sacrifice-don’t make me laugh.  The Sani Sabik are strong, we sacrifice others to God.  The blood of sinners, the blood of the unbelievers, we will fill the valley once again!”  
This elicited spontaneous cries from the congregation.  “God is Great!  We are His Chosen.  We will fill the valley!”  I joined in.  The bishop continued once the cries had died down.
“Let us pray.”  He waited until we had bowed our heads.  “God of All, we come before you today to lift up Callista to the Sabik.  She comes before you just as she is, cleaned, blessed and with an offering of blood.  We come with her, as her brothers and sisters in faith, bound together by our devotion to you.  Today she takes her holy orders and becomes a part of our order and dedicates her life to you.  Allet.”
After the prayer was over, I stood and walked over to stand next to Callie.  The bishop and abbess came over as well.  I gently placed my hand on her shoulder and she looked up at me, confident.  I smiled just a tiny bit.
“Kneel, Callie,” I said and she slowly went down on her knees.  She briefly touched the small vial at her neck before clasping her hands together.  
The bishop addressed the congregation, “When the Eve Gate collapsed.”
To which we responded together, “we did not lose our faith.”
“In the Dark Age.”
We did not lose our faith.”
“When the false emperor took the throne.”
We did not lose our faith.”
“During the Long Night.”
We did not lose our faith.”
“In the torture chambers and dungeons of the Amarrian Inquisition.”
We did not lose our faith.”
“When we were forced out of our home.”
We did not lose our faith.”
He turned.  “Today, Callista, you join that faith.  Will you face your tests with the same faith and determination that those who came before you did?”
She spoke with confidence, “I will.”
He turned back, “We are guided by the Scriptures.”
And by the teachings of the saints.”
“Saint Apollyon stood against two hundred templars of the Amarr Empire, unafraid, because even though he was alone, God was with him.  Saint Jahi saved countless numbers of the Sani Sabik from the hands of the Amarrian Inquisition.  Saint Sagredia by faith and sacrifice held back the Dorian Plague.  They prove that through God all things are possible.  Callista, will you study the Scriptures and follow in the example of the saints?”
Again, she said, “I will.”
“Holy, holy, holy Lord.  God of power and God of might.  The heavens and earth are full of your glory.  It is right to give our thanks and praise.  Callista, with you dedicate your life to the praise and worship of the Red God?
“I will.”
“Callista, as a member of this order will you uphold our traditions, our sacraments?”
“I will.”
The bishop smiled broadly.  “Then Callista Hinderville, take your solemn vows.”
Callie bowed her head.  “I pledge my life, my existence, to the worship of God, to the study of the Scripture, to the Order of the Chalice, to the perfection of myself.  I solemnly swear to uphold the traditions and honor of the Order of the Chalice and the Sani Sabik.  Before God and man I swear this.”
The bishop nodded to the abbess and myself and we placed our hands on Callie’s head.  The bishop prayed again, “God, bless this girl as she seeks to walk the path that you have set out for her.  Give her strength, give her inspiration.  May she never know doubt, or weakness.  May she seek to serve you in all things.  Allet.”
The choir struck up, the bass section singing low in ancient Amarrish, “There is a fountain filled with blood, drawn from children’s veins.”  I clicked off my translator.  I knew the words, and was getting quite familiar with ancient Amarrish.  Listening to such a stilling song in Napanii made it lose much of it’s impact. At the last verse one of the nuns brought the Vitama to stand in front of the Altar.
I glanced over at the child, clad in white silk; she looked a little lost, a little fearful and a little confused.  For such an important Mass, the Vitama would be unmarked, unused in any way.  She looked around the temple, the small Caldari girl about five or six years old, and I could see the sense of dread slowly sinking into her.  At one point I would have felt sorry or pity for her, but that point was now long past.
Callie looked at me and I nodded almost imperceptibly back.  She stood and strode to the alter and her sacrifice to God.  With no hesitation, Callie took the oversized robe off the child, who only made a small whimper of protest and covered the altar with it; then, she picked up the Vitama and placed her sitting on the alter.  The little brown haired girl squirmed, perhaps recognizing the malevolence, and tried to get away, but Callie put her hand firmly on the little girl’s pushed her down on the altar.  The assisting nun reached out and snatched on of the Vitama’s arms and pulled it into the loop of rope and tightened it, then pulled it taunt.  I did the same with the other arm and then we tied the legs.  The rope bit into the girl’s skin as she struggled and writhed; she stopped, though, after a moment, as she realized the futility of her attempts.  She looked directly at me and started to cry softly, in an attempt to elicit sympathy; I looked back down on her, filled with the conviction of my faith, the purity of my purpose and touched her cheek gently to calm her.  Cruelty was unnecessary and uncalled for.
I stepped back, unsheathed my dagger and handed it to Callie.  She took the blade, bowed her head and spoke a brief prayer softly under her breath.  When Callie raised her head back up I could see the conviction in her eyes.  She pressed the gleaming blade into the Vitama’s wrist and slowly cut down half way to the elbow.  The little girl squealed and howled in pain, but Callie did not stop.  She moved to the other arm and repeated the action.  Blood welled up from the cuts and flowed onto the silk cloth, ever expanding splotches of red.
“Lord, we offer you this child, her blood, the purist of the pure that it may wipe the blemish of sin from us all,” the bishop said.
With Callie’s first cuts complete I retrieved my dagger and stepped forward.  The two cuts on the inner thighs took practice.  It was very easy to miss the femoral artery, so they required someone with demonstrated skill to preform it.  I twisted the dagger in my hand and plunged it deep into the Vitama’s upper thigh.  She yelled again, louder as the pain overwhelmed her senses.  I saw the bright red almost spurt from the wound and dragged the blade down her thigh.  The blood flowed freely from the gash, drenching the silk cloth and dripping down the altar.  Quickly, I did the same to the other leg, with the same results.
“Callista, take your place in Paradise.  Claim your salvation, become Sabik.  This is your sacrifice, your blood,” I said and held up the dagger for her.  When she stepped close to take it, I whispered to her, “this is the truth of the Sani Sabik.  We are not weak, humble; we demand our salvation.  Finish it and look up at God and be proud, for you have not faltered.”
She nodded and took the dagger from me.  The small child bound to the altar was breathing only just so and the colour had drained from her skin.  Her screaming had stopped, although she was still conscious.  As Callie steeped forward, the child whimpered.
“Please, no,” she begged, pathetic and weak, near death.  But, like all the ones that had come before, all like all the ones to come, her pleas were ignored and Callie sliced her throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment